Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Stressed

March 26th

Right now I am feeling so tired, sitting next to our cooking fire and keeping warm, while Alex makes some tea. We just passed a paving crew and I felt happy to see that I recognized all of the machinery and process and also that there were almost as many women working as men. My students Jung Xiao Dong and Fee(Fan) told me that in 1949 there was a law made that women in China should have equal rights as men. Contruction work in China is not limited to men and from what I can see they are not discriminated against in any aspect of the job. I always feel happy to see women driving heavy machinery here, working in the mountains as road side crews, or paving crews, also as cityworkers. It's true though that contruction workers are paid very little in China because there are so many people. -I felt a bit stressed out today because I'm leaving China in a few days, my Visa expiring on the 2nd of April. I want to visit my friends Estelle and Christina from Guangzhou again and then I'm headed to HK again. To end my circuit around China. There are still so many places in CYHina to explore, so many people to meet and things to learn. I'm not ready to leave China. I think that I'll be back one day soon.

Nepal
I'm going to Nepal on the 7th of April and am excited for it. I'm a bit worried that I won't get what I'm looking for though because I'm going on a long hike maybe 20 days which is great! But it's with my old wrestling coach's company and everyone with us will be Canadians. There will be a few Sherpas with us but maybe they're so accustomed to tourists that they won't be intereszted in talking to me. I want to learn about Nepali customs and people, yet, I'll be there in a world of Canadians. I hope that I can stay away from the Canadian reality while I'm on the other side of the world, in a country of my dreams. I'm not goig to Nepal to have to talk about Canada. We'll wait and see.

No comments: