Friday, April 11, 2008

ELECTIONDAY


April 10th

Elecions
What a special time to be in Nepal! Today is their first election in a long time. Nepal was a monarchy a few years ago but was replaced with a temporary government after so much unrest in the country. The King then just became a symbolic head of state I think. This morning I went for a long walk at 6:30. One of the first things that I saw was a UN jeep going by, followed by a UN motorcyclist. After that I saw a huge truck full of soldiers(maybe 40) go by dressed in their blue camoflage, maybe they were local police. I was feeling overwhelmed with emotion, overjoyed to be in this country on this day, in this time of such importance and significance, a time of change. Also, it reminded me of 'Hotel Rwanda', and how that movie made me want to work for the peace corps. , and to learn more about difficulties in different countries. I was really in a dream today. We didn't know what would happen today, some tourists taking many precautions and not leaving the guesthouse all day. I am far too restless for these type of sensibilities. The streets are unusually empty since most locals had to go to their hometowns to vote. I havn't seen any problems anywhere so far, here in Kathmandu today. Pigeons are keeping me company in this quiet square, flying from the top of a big white and gold stupa to small temple roofs. They swarm together flying in one direction, then quickly changing directions for no particular reason. Red, yellow, green, blue and white prayer flags are strung high in the sky attached to the top of the stupa. They wind fly's in between them making them alive. I saw the people at their voting posts lining up patiently to make their secret ballad and choose their candidate. I saw a few observers go by me, one T-shirt said Ca observer and at first I thought Canada but this wasn't the case they had Nepali writing on their car, then a UK observer. I wonder why they observe. I guess just to make sure things are done properly. Political party posters and flags are hung in the main streets, like the prayer flags in the square.

Aneil
The people here are not so interested in tourists as in China. I want to spend my days here talking to them and sharing ideas but a lot just want my money here in Kathmandu. This being said, yesterday after meeting Krishna I walked out into the outskirts of Kathmandu and after a while asked the way back to Kathmandu Guesthouse. Aneil, a local here walked me to the centre and bought me some momo's, a local food here. He told me that because of the elections most restaurants are closed but that he knew one that would be open since the owners couldn't afford a flight home. The momo's were delicious, like chinese dumplings with more meat and pinched differently. Aneil told me that it used to be a Tibetan food but the Nepalis like it as well and so they incorporated momo's into their diet.

This morning I bought milk in a bag, it was 3%, what a treat!! In China dairy products are so expensive but here in Nepal they're common and cheap. 500ml only cost me 14rupees which is 14/60. I also ate curd which is the local name for yogurt. It's really sour and somwhat enjoyable. Then I bought a bunch of fried sweets, fried samosas with sweet red stuff inside and sugar on the outside, sweet cookie things that looked like mini chocolate longjohn doughbnuts but had sweet juice inside them, and fried sweet doughnuts.

We, Coach White and the Canadian group that I'm going to do the hike with had a meeting today. We're going to hike to Everest base camp and even higher, in around 18 days. Take it nice and slow:). My hands started to shake in excitement near the end of the meeting. I am so excited to get "Into Thin Air," sorry for the pun. I still remember how exhilirated I felt when reading that book by John Krakaar. It made me want to take up ice climbing. I was so into the book, as if I were the one crossing deep icy crevases on long shaky ladders. This adventure does not compare to their attempt up Everest, but I am nonetheless thrilled to be starting soon. I want to set foot on these sared, majestic and legendary mountains of my dreams.

Now two little boys are sitting on either side of me listening to Bob Marley on my ipod. Green snot coming out of their noses, sniffeling non stop, holes in their clothes and dirt all over them, I feel so happy to share my music with them and to have some company. They're my brothers. They're watching me write now, not knowing that it's about them. Subas just introduced himself, he's 12 and his brother Sagam is 8. They live behind the steps that I've been sitting on for the past 2 hours. We're all eating some bananas now.My little friends just left now, goodbye little guys!

There is really intricate carving on the temples here, doors and windows. So much more wood carvings here than in China.

I bought a book called 'Journey to self', written by Luna Shrestha Thakur about her life as a young Nepali woman and how South East Asian women are suppressed. I'm excited to read it. I also bought a book that captures Tibetan elder's stories and wisdom, so they'll both be a good read.

No comments: