Monday, November 12, 2007

The past week: Concert, Vanessa, Majong, Serenaded...

A few nights ago Estelle and I went to see a Finnish A cappello group. They were quite amazing and very entertaining. Their sound effects were so neat. Making percussion and instruments like trumpets, trombones, electric guitars with just their voices.

So I met this chick named VAnessa at my hostel and she's a pretty sweet gal from Australia. She's going to study mandarin in Shanghai for 6 weeks, and we spent a day together. at the park we got serenaded by this middle aged fella who loved to sing. He sang to us a brasilian folk song about a man who falls in love sung in mandarin. Me and him sang a few english songs together that he had been practicing and he invited us both to his son's wedding next year. Vanessa is going to Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia in a bit and so we might try to meet up.

In the evening we went to Christina's house for dinner and a game of Majong. Her mom works as a doctor in the military and she was wearing a dope ass military outfit, looked quite sharp. Her house was gorgeous and I felt really cool being in such a traditional looking chinese house. There was chinese furnature and paintings inside. WE ate frog and snake for dinner along with my favorite mushrooms in soup. It was quite delicious and the snake didn't have any bones in it unlike when Estelle and I ate it for dinner that one night.

It's said of the CAntonese that they eat everything.
"They eat anything that fly's except planes, anything that swims except boats and anything with four legs except chairs and tables..."

I'm quickly coming to learn that this is true with the help of my two cantonese friends.

Today I've justbeen resting b/c I was feeling a bit down after the accident last night. Also I have a damn cold and I think that it might be because I order juice in restaurants and eat from food stalls, so maybe my system is mad at me.

Tomorrow I'm headed to Beijing by train and Annie's assistant Ling is going to pick me up at the train station. She said that I can come to her office and rest as I'm arriving at 6AM. I'm also going to call up Sun Xiao who I met at my first hostel as well in Hong Kong. They all want to practice their english and so they said they'd show me around. I contacted Mark too in Jilin and he said I could stay at his place and to some of his english classes so that I can learn how to teach.

I can't believe how nice everyone has been to me here in Guangzhou! I wrote my relative Wen Li a letter a few days ago and I know that she recieved it b/c she signed for it. I was hoping that she would write me and e-mail and contact me, but even though she didn't yet I've had the opportunity to live a few days as if I were a local here in Guangzhou. I've enjoyed my stay here but am so ready to move onto Beijing.

No comments: