Monday, March 17, 2008

On the old Road again


March 13th

We took the old road from Simao to Ning'Er. It was gorgeous. I remember chocolate flavoured rivers, tea tree plantations on mountains that looked like corn rows. I saw a group of boys coming home from work covered in soot head to toe. They yelled "Hello!!" to Alek and then giggled, hopped and jumped down the road, playing with each other like children at recess. It was like watching lively clay figures! So happily dirty. We stopped for a mid-day break after 10km up a mountain and we finally got to try out Alek's orange flowered Brazilian Hammock. I cooked one of my favourites: vegetable omellette on the fire. Alek cooked some chapotees: (flour, salt and water). After our break we had 20km downhill! It was great after such a heavy lunch. When the old road ended we were immediately surrounded by big noisy trucks, horns and pollution for 13km of slow uphill. I was itchy in the night from a mixture of pollution and swet on my skin.

No comments: