Sunday, May 4, 2008

Kallapathar 5550m




Gorakshep-Pheriche
April 21st

We followed a small slow moving creek that was surrounded by shrubs and foliage the colour of autumn, that lead the way down the small slope to the village named Pheriche. Pheriche is nestled in a valley, between one high ridge on the South and one small mountain in the North. It's a bit different than the other villages because the land rolls up and down in small hills giving our eyes a break from the monotonous stone walls set on flat grounds. Cows, yaks and dso dso's (pronounced jok jok) are attempting to eat the grass, that actually isn't growing long enough for them. Walking into Pheriche around sunset, the glowing embers of the floating snow-covered mountains which are surrounded by white clouds stop my forward movement and put me into a state of awe.

Kallapathar
I hiked Kallapathar in the morning, it was supposed to be a real challenge, but I found it to be the easier climb when compared to Everest Base camp. The only part that could be considered difficult is the steepness of the all-uphill climb to reach the peak at 5550m, the highest I've ever been on land in my life. However, with a stomach full of muesli and hot milk, my two red hiking poles in hand that Goat(Pete the Kiwi) lent me and no altitude problems today, I was feeling very good. At the top I took a few pictures on the peak and a few shots with Everest in the background. I was feeling so good and exhilarated that I ran down most of the mountain. Though, I had to stop a few times to catch my breath, remembering that I was, after all, at over 5000m of altitude and there is less oxygen to breathe.

No comments: