Tuesday, October 30, 2007

First day in HK

SOoooooo I am quite delerious at the moment. I flew From Vancouver on a Sunday and arrived in HK and it was a Tuesday today! WHERE DID MONDAY GO???

Well, my first impression of ppl in HK is that they are really friendly and helpful. I slept in the airport last night, then took the metro system and a bus to my hostel at 5 am. Mount Davis Jockey club my hostel happens to be on the top of this small mountain. I thought, oh yeah a few minutes of hiking, but no! 30 mins later after some intense altitude climbing with my huge travellor bag stuffed with 5 months of my life...I got to the top. There were a bunch of ppl doing Tai Chi and it's jungle like atmosphere on the mountain and in HK too( where the buildings aren't there anyways...).

I haven't decided if I hate HK or like it yet. It's mysterious and busy, but there is way too much space dedicated to POwer shopping. It makes me sick. Actually i am feeling quite sick at the moment, I just caught the bus back up the mountain after a days worth of walking around with my new friend Henry who's from Malaysia and I definetely need to take it a little slower tomorrow.

I also met a girl named Sabina from Holland, Annie from Beijing, Anthony from Guangzhou and there are some Germans sitting across from me right now that I'm sure I'll talk to tomorrow. This place is full of travelers of all ages and from all places of the world.

Today me and Henry ate Dim Sung for Brunch, then we went to see a monument that China gave to HK after it was decolonized, then we went to a Buddhist inspired art gallery, went to the zoo and watched grey cranes, very small monkeys jump and play and laughed at a Fat gorilla/ape that was eating too much at once and dropping it all over. WE went up Mt. Victoria on a trolley ride, really steep. Then I ate a big disgusting hot dog, and then we went to dinner and Anthony joined us.

The sidewalks are so weird here because they're not even on the ground half the time. There are walkways everywhere connecting into buildings and on the sides of them at the 2nd and 3rd stories because they're so damn tall. The skyscrapers redeem their names here, as compared to the ones in VAncouver and tonight I went to a market on the street and bought groceries (all fruit) for breakfast tomorrow morning.

The streets are so lit up it's amazing. Too bad I was feeling queezy. It Is expensive here though. More so than in Vancouver I think. I want to give HK a chance though, and so I'll stay here a week and check out the outdoor sights too. shopping shlopping who cares? Well, tomorrow if it's nice i might go to Lantau island with Henry and if not, all of the Museums in the province are free on Wednesdays ! WOOT! Ciao for now.

No comments: