Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Imprisoned

I was walking in Van City to meet a friend,
My bag was so heavy, I wanted it to end,
Two shoes tied on the back and two pillows too
High enders looking at me through and through.

Then this guy on a bicycle said to me
You can sleep on Granville Island if you want it's free
We used to sleep in the park after dark
But the police kicked us out, this is what they'd shout:

"You're homeless and unwanted a big disgrace,
You've got five minutes to vacate this place."
So we rolled up our blankets picked up our pillows,
Nudged our drunken friends asleep under the willows.

We're homeless and unwanted by society
What they don't know is in fact we're free,
We watch out for our own and will unite,
In a way we're standing up for our rights.

I said gee thanks for the offer that's really nice,
If I wasn't meeting my friend I wouldn't think twice.
I asked do you need some pillows or food,
He said no our community has quite a few.

The homeless yet again have proved a point.
It's not whether you drink or smoke a joint,
legal or illegal, legitimate or illegetimate,
Shedding greed and being kind is non of it.

Why can those who own the least give the most?
Why are the poverty stricken the best hosts?
Our culture of materialism and technology
Has imprisoned our souls never to be set free.

Caged birds we sing our unhappy songs,
Trying to buy our way out of the wrong.
If the doors of the cage were opened,
Could we work towards change to stop the end?

No comments: