Sunday, January 13, 2008

LAO










LAO is peaceful, laid back, fun and beautiful.




I have been here since the 3rd and am heading back to China in a few days. Lao reminds me of my childhood growing up on the island. Slow lazy summers spend laying by the river with Sylvie and Erica. Double biking with Erica, Alex and neighbourhood kids. Kayaking trips with my family. The kids here are so happy playing by the clear river water, swimming, padelling local made canoes, running laughing and biking around; they make me never want to grow up.

A couple days ago Ran(a cute Israeli boy) and myself bought a local canoe for $40Us and took off on our epic trip from Mong Gnoi to Nong Kiaow down the Nam Ou river. We padelled for 2 days but yesterday we hit some big rapids and hit a rock, putting a hole in the canoe which cut our trip short by 3days. It was really a lot of fun and Ran is a funny guy, the scenery both him and the landscape were great:). I knew what to do from our family kayak trips and Ran asked me if I had been in the army the way that I knew what we needed to do. It made me happy and It makes me wonder if being a guide is the job for me. Ran took off today and I was sad to see him go. I sang. "ALL by myself" and held back my tears.

1 comment:

EricaRose said...

haha!! holly that is so funny. Last friday I watched both of the Bridget Jone's diaries at home, and the opening scene is her singing. " All by myself!" and I sang right along!! I love you Hol